In attendance: Amy Shallcross, Sue Lowry, Drew Dehoff, Jodee Pring, Kirsten Wallace, Earl Lewis, Rhonda Manning, Jennifer Hoggatt and Tom Littlepage (for Brian Atkins)

Action Items:

  • Amy Shallcross, Sue Lowry and Drew Dehoff will review the ICWP bylaws regarding approvals that might be needed to delay ICWP dues increase.

Business:

Amy Shallcross called the meeting to order at 10:50 am Central time.  The agenda was not modified.  The Board summary from the March 5, 2020 call was approved by unanimous voice vote.  Drew Dehoff made the motion to approve and Kirsten seconded.  

Treasurer’s Report:

Drew Dehoff reviewed the Treasure’s report.  Total net assets were $113,249.04 after expenses as of March 31st.  Drew noted the slight difference from the Treasurer’s report that Sue sent in the Board packet (sent on March 29 due to 1st Thursday falling on April 2).  The detailed Treasurer’s report is attached.    The difference is explained by the end of month interest payment and the Google mail expense of $6/mo.

The Washington D.C. Roundtable was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic and there was some discussion about cost implications of the Roundtable being cancelled. The ICWP Executive Director, Sue Lowry, estimated less than $1,000 in costs will be incurred and the Hilton Doubletree Hotel reimbursed everything including deposit and processing fees.   A dues check from Indiana is expected soon.  

The Board also discussed the status of the ICWP budget and whether to continue with an ICWP dues increase that was planned for the upcoming year given the impacts of the pandemic.  The dues increase had been voted on and approved by the ICWP membership during the ICWP business meeting in October 2019.  After some discussion, the Board decided that Sue, Amy, and Drew will review the ICWP bylaws for approvals that would be needed to delay the dues increase since the increase had already been approved by ICWP members.

Executive Director Report:

The Executive Director Report dated March 31, 2020 is attached and was distributed to the full Board.  

Sue mentioned that In-Situ, one of ICWP’s Bronze Members and will be hosting a webinar on using water data collection tools in academic classrooms.  In-Situ has invited ICWP to make a short presentation as a part of this webinar to broaden our message that Water Resource and Research Institutes at colleges and universities are eligible to join ICWP as an Affiliate member.  Sue Lowry will present an overview of ICWP on this April 24 webinar which starts at noon Central time.  All are welcome to participate.

The new ICWP intern, Sarah Wingfield, has been working on compiling up-to-date lists of the Water Resources agency directors, water planning contact, water use contact list (from Kim Schaffer (USGS)), State Climatologists and State Geologists so that Sue can load those into Mail Chimp.  In addition, Sue mentioned that Andrew Tabas, a recent Georgetown graduate with an interest in water policy, may be available to help develop a more complete Congressional directory  for ICWP.

Sue also reported that the USGS streamgaging support letter was sent to Congressional Interior Appropriations sub-committee members on March 27th.  ICWP again spearheaded the development of a coalition letter supporting the USGS Streamgaging programs to the House and Senate appropriations committees for federal FY21 budgeting. A broad coalition of 57 water related organizations signed on to the letters which were delivered via email due to the COVID-19 shutdowns and restrictions.

Sue also reported to the Board regarding recent conversations that she has had with Tony Willardson, Executive Director of the Western States Water Council (WSWC).  The WSWC has been working with the Senate Environment and Public Works (EPW) committee to develop language to add to the WRDA20 bill to address remaining concerns now the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is not moving forward with a Water Supply Rule.  Sue sent an email on March 23rd to the ICWP Board and committee members with the proposed language included for everyone’s information and to let her know if anyone had any questions.

Committees:

Legislation and Policy (met Feb. 28) 

  • Kirsten Wallace mentioned that the NOAA National Integrated Drought Information System (NIDIS) is planning to host a flash drought workshop but a date has not been announced yet;
  • Sue is working on scheduling an ICWP all-committee call with Veva Deheza with NOAA regarding NIDIS;
  • Kirsten reported that the committee plans to review the National Drought Resilience Partnership’s Action Plan for elements to include in the Legislation and Policy workplan;
  • Kirsten mentioned the possibility of a letter of support from ICWP regarding NOAA’s Atlas 14 initiative; Atlas 14 analyzes historical precipitation data to support future projections for climate change estimates.  Sue sent an Atlas 14 fact sheet to the Mail Chimp distribution on April 3rd.
  • Jodee Pring reported that she had received an email from the Family Farm Alliance regarding infrastructure and will forward that to Sue;
  • Next meeting scheduled for May 14.

Water Data and Science (met Feb. 27)   

  • The USGS streamgaging support letter was delivered on March 27th
  • Sue sent an Atlas 14 fact sheet to the Mail Chimp distribution on April 3rd;
  • As mentioned earlier, NIDIS is planning to host a flash drought workshop but a date has not been announced yet;
  • Sue is working on scheduling an ICWP all-committee call with Veva Deheza with NOAA regarding NIDIS;
  • Next meeting will be set depending upon Veva Dehaza’s availability to present a webinar.

Interstate Water Management   (met Feb. 3)

  • Drew Dehoff reported that the interstate report and primer is being worked on by Drew’s graphic designer.   The report and primer had been on track to be presented at the Roundtable but the pandemic disrupted progress.  Sue will add Report roll-out planning to the May Board call agenda.
  • The next committee call has not been set yet. 

Water Planning (met March 2) 

  • Jennifer Hoggatt reported that Kelly Smith, National Drought Mitigation Center, was the speaker for the March 2nd meeting;  
  • Matt Unruh had planned to give a presentation regarding Kansas’ water planning efforts; however, Jennifer and Matt have discussed changing the presentation to focus on drought and HAB management implications.
  • Next meeting will be May 18th.

Upcoming ICWP Meetings:

Summer Board Planning Session — week of August 24, 2020 

  • Scheduled to be held at the YMCA Camp in Estes Park, CO at the same location as before (Monday – Wednesday);
  • Currently, the YMCA Camp facility is completely closed due to the pandemic; when they reopen, Sue will begin the contracting process.

2020 Annual Meeting — week of October 12, 2020 

  • The annual meeting will be held in Philadelphia, PA the week of October 12th at the Wyndham Historic District Hotel (Tuesday – Thursday).  Amy has been working on a great list of potential speaker and topics.

Board Meetings 

Next call scheduled for May 7th at 10:50 a.m. Central time.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 11:55 a.m. Central time; Earl Lewis made a motion to adjourn and Drew Dehoff seconded.