In Attendance: Drew Dehoff, Sue Lowry, Kirsten Wallace, Jennifer Hoggatt, Julie Cunningham, Pooja Kanwar, Heidi Moltz, Amy Shallcross, Mabel Jones, Katherine Zitsch, and Brian Atkins
Call to Order:
Drew Dehoff, ICWP Board Chair, called the meeting to order at 11:03 a.m. Central time. The Board summary from the January 6, 2022 call was approved. Amy Shallcross made the motion to approve the summary and Mabel Jones seconded the motion. The meeting summary was approved by unanimous voice vote.
Brian Atkins reviewed the Treasurer’s Report and reported total assets were $168,573.64 after expenses as of January 31, 2022. The treasurer’s report is attached.
Executive Director’s Report:
The Executive Director’s Report dated January 31, 2022 is attached and was distributed the full Board. ICWP Executive Director Sue Lowry reported that she had a recent discussion with Martin Doyle, Nicholas Institute at Duke University, about the Institute hosting future Roundtable meetings inviting state and federal water resource managers to attend to discuss new initiatives in water management.
Drew Dehoff reported that 7 candidates have submitted applications for the ICWP Executive Director position. The Executive Director search committee will meet on February 10 to review those applications and then schedule interviews.
Sue Lowry also reported that the Western States Water Council (WSWC) has invited ICWP to co-sponsor a data sharing conference that WSWC plans to host in Salt Lake City in June 2022. The WSWC hosted a similar conference in 2019.
Legislation and Policy – last met on Jan. 27; next meeting on March 2
- Kirsten Wallace reported that the Project Partnership Agreement (PPA) Coalition letter signed by ICWP and eight other entities had been submitted in December to the Senate Environment and Public Works (EPW) Committee; a similar letter will be submitted to the House Transportation and Infrastructure (T&I) Committee. The PPA Coalition has talked with Van Scoyoc and Associates about possible assistance in the future.
- Kirsten also reported that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) is evaluating whether USACE is required to obtain specific permits from the states including sovereign land or water permits and floodplain permits. Kirsten thought that this might be an issue that may affect several ICWP members in the future. A draft version of the 2022 USGS Streamgaging Stakeholder Support Letter was sent to the ICWP Board prior to this meeting. Drew stated that he has asked his communications specialist to review the letter for consistency of voice. Edits should be sent to Sue by Feb. 9 as she plans to send to the Stakeholder partners on Feb. 10 for their review.
Water Data and Science – last met on Feb. 1; next meeting to be scheduled
- Amy Shallcross was unable to attend the last WD&S call and Drew reported the February 1st meeting featured a presentation by John Feldt, Founder and President of Blue Water Outlook (BWO) and Sue sent an email to ICWP members that BWO was offering a free 30-day trial of its weather information services.
- The committee reviewed a draft of the FY2023 USGS streamgage funding support letter during the meeting.
Interstate Water Management – last met on December 13; next meeting on February 9
- The Interstate Water Management Committee will sponsor several all-committee webinars this year that will focus on trans-basin diversions. The February 9th meeting that will focus on the trans-basin diversion from the Delaware River to New York City and presented by the Delaware River Basin Commission (DRBC).
Water Planning – last met on January 24, 2022; next meeting on March 7
- Jennifer Hoggatt reported the January 24th meeting featured a presentation by ICWP Board member Katherine Zitsch regarding water management planning activities in north Georgia.
- The March 7th meeting will feature a presentation by Erik Smith, USGS Water-Use Data and Research Program Coordinator.
Internship Program for Spring, 2022 Semester:
Sue Lowry reported that 8 ICWP intern applications had been received. Sue, Heidi Moltz, and Mabel Jones had reviewed the application and narrowed the list of interns down to three. Study topics will be developed soon.
Upcoming ICWP Meetings:
- Sue mentioned the 2022 Washington DC Roundtable scheduled to take place April 5-7, 2022, at the DoubleTree Crystal City. The Roundtable will be co-sponsored by ICWP, WSWC, and the National Water Supply Alliance.
- The 2022 ICWP Annual Meeting will be held October 25-27, 2022 in Davenport, Iowa at the Black Hawk Hotel.
Next call scheduled for March 3, 2022, at 9 a.m. Central time.
The meeting was adjourned at 12:01 p.m. Central Time.