In attendance: Amy Shallcross, Sue Lowry, Drew Dehoff, Heidi Moltz, Jodee Pring, Lauren Salvato, Earl Lewis, Julie Cunningham, Rhonda Manning, Jennifer Hoggatt and Brian Atkins
- Sue Lowry asked that each of the Board members go to the ICWP Board web site and make sure that a photograph and testimonial has been posted for each member; if not, please submit a photo or testimonial as needed to Sue
- Work on revisions to the letter from ICWP to R.D. James—Jennifer will add edits and re-circulate.
- Sue will send the ICWP comment letter on WRDA2020 to the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee in February
- Drew Dehoff will reach out to Ryan Mueller in Indiana regarding Indiana’s dues payment
Amy called the meeting to order at 10:02 am Central time. The agenda was not modified. The Board summary from the January 2, 2020 call was approved. Drew Dehoff made the motion and Earl Lewis seconded.
Drew Dehoff reviewed the Treasure’s report. Total net assets were $118,594.72 after expenses as of January 31, 2020. See attached spreadsheet for the detailed Treasurer’s report. No dues payments were received in January; however, we are waiting for dues payments from Indiana and Barr Engineering. Rhonda Manning reported that West Virginia is planning to pay their dues.
Executive Director Report:
The Executive Director Report dated January 31, 2020 is attached and was distributed to the full Board. In addition, Sue reported that she has begun working on developing a 50-state mailing list for a state focused letter. She had reached out to Kelly Smith with NDMC to get a list of water plans and state climatologist offices for each state and will also use the ICWP membership list to help identify points of contact in each state.
Also, Eric Robinson, with In-Situ, has offered to host a webinar with various academic research contacts and ICWP has been invited to participate but no date has been set yet for the webinar.
2020 ICWP Internship Program:
Unfortunately, no one submitted applications for the internship program this year. Plans are to try again next year.
Legislation and Policy (met Jan. 23)
- Katherine Zitsch was acting chair for the Jan. 23rd call. Chuck Chaitovitz, U.S. Chamber of Commerce, had sent Sue their support letter for Resilience Revolving Fund legislation and that the committee may discuss further.
- The Committee approved a comment letter on WRDA2020 addressed to the House Transportation and Infrastructure committee and voted to send it to the Board for its review. Sue will send the letter to the House Transportation and Infrastructure committee contact person in February.
- Just prior to the ICWP Board call, Sue received a letter from Rep. Jared Huffman requesting endorsements for FUTURE Drought Resiliency Act legislation. The letter will be forwarded to the committee members for their consideration.
- Some discussion occurred regarding a draft letter from ICWP to R.D. James, Assistant Secretary of the Army for Civil Works, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, regarding the Corps’ announcement to withdraw the proposed Water-Supply Rule; some expressed that they would like to make further revisions to the draft letter so Sue will send to the Board members again.
- Next meeting Feb. 28, 10:00 Central time.
Water Data and Science (met Jan. 23)
- Representatives from the USGS gave presentations about the National Hydrography Dataset (NHD), the Watershed Boundary Dataset (WBD), and NHDPlus High Resolution (NHDPlus HR).
- The Committee held discussion regarding a support letter for modernization of the USGS NWISWeb and agreed to send the letter to Jim Kreft, USGS. The main focus of the FY21 Stakeholder support letter will be on basic data collection but mention that data is necessary for model calibration.
- Next meeting on Feb. 27.
Interstate Water Management (met Feb. 3)
- Drew Dehoff reported that the executive summary and primer for the interstate report should be ready near the end of February or mid-March at the latest. The entire report should be ready soon after the executive summary and primer are completed.
Water Planning (met Feb. 3)
- Chuck Chaitovitz, U.S. Chamber of Commerce, was on the call and talked about support for Resilience Revolving Fund legislation. ICWP was invited to sign on to their coalition support letter.
- The Committee talked about strategic direction for this year, possibly including topics such as water quality and infrastructure and how they affect water planning.
- Next meeting will be March 2.
Upcoming ICWP Meetings:
The 2020 Washington, D.C. Roundtable — week of March 30, 2020
- The registration announcement is on-line. Sue encouraged everyone to make hotel reservations as soon as possible.
- The agenda may have to be rearranged because some of the Water Subcabinet members may not be available for April 1st.
Summer Board Planning Session — week of August 24, 2020
- Will be held in Estes Park, CO at the same location as before (Monday – Wednesday).
2020 Annual Meeting — week of October 12, 2020
- The annual meeting will be held in Philadelphia, PA the week of October 12th. Sue is working with a hotel in Philadelphia to finalize details.
Next call scheduled for March 5th at 10:00 a.m. Central time.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:10 a.m. Central time.