In attendance:Brian Atkins, Sue Lowry, Drew Dehoff, Kirsten Wallace, Julie Cunningham, Dru Buntin, Amy Shallcross, Heidi Moltz,

Action Items for Board:

  1. Consider questions for member survey
  2. Prepare for Strategic Planning Call

Decisions/Votes:

  1. The June 13, 2019 Minutes were approved (Amy moved, Julie Second, all in favor).  
  2. A letter of support for NWIS modernization will be developed and sent to Don and Chad. Sue will solicit requests/ comments on NWIS update for the more detailed letter to Jim Kreft and others.

Meeting Discussion:

Chair Brian Atkins called to order at 9:02 AM Central Time.

Minutes: The minutes from the June 13 Board meeting were approved. 

Treasurer’s Report: See attached spreadsheet.  Drew discussed the Treasurer’s report. On June 30, 2019, the balances in the Wells Fargo and Paypal Accounts were $65,238 and $1,227, respectively.  Less the Avocet Invoice, the total assets are $62,465.  Several FY20 dues payments have been received. 

E.D. report:See separate document (attached).  In June, Sue spent time invoice members and on the Mobile conference agenda and meeting arrangements.  She also spent a time on other Membership and Committee Activities. She summarized the meeting with Don Cline.  With the reorganization of USGS, there is concern among the members that water quality issues will be distributed, diluted and eventually phased out.  The GOES letter was sent.  

Membership:Brian has confirmed with Mississippi (Kay Whittington) and Tennessee (Elaine Boyd) that they would like to take advantage of the comp registration offer for the Mobile meeting.  ICWP will provide 2 nights lodging plus compensated registration.  Sue has already touched base with Loren Wobig regarding Illinois attending under a comped registration.  Sue has also heard from North Carolina that they may be interested in re-joining and attending Mobile.  The Board authorized Sue to offer a comped registration to Linda Culpepper if Sue felt that would make the difference in whether Linda decided to attend or not.

Brian has confirmed with Mississippi (Kay Whittington) and Tennessee (Elaine Boyd) that they would like to take advantage of the comp registration offer for the Mobile meeting.  ICWP will provide 2 nights lodging plus compensated registration. Sue has already touched base with Loren Wobig regarding Illinois attending under a comped registration. Sue has also heard from North Carolina that they may be interested in re-joining and attending Mobile.  The Board authorized Sue to offer a comped registration to Linda Culpepper if Sue felt that would make the difference in whether Linda decided to attend or not. 

Committees: See separate document (attached).  

Legislation and Policy:  On the last call, Don Cline, Bob Joseph and Bill Guertal were present to discuss a number of issues and member concerns, including NaWQA and the Water Quality budget over the other 2 main Water Mission program areas, and ACWI.  The Committee plans to have calls with Don every 6-8 months. The committee is working on the priorities survey to members and prospects. 

Data and Science:  Jim Kreft provided and update of NWISWeb modernization. On the webinar, we agreed to write a letter to Don Cline and copy Chad Wagner with ICWP’s support of NWIS modernization.  Next call will focus on committee work plan.  Amy suggested that we send a letter to members and aske their staff for the wish list for USGS web and associated data services. ICWP comments were submitted on GOES-FCC Rulemaking by the June 21 deadline. Talking points were shared with the full membership to encourage the submission of comments to the FCC.

Water Planning: Jennifer Hoggatt and Pooja Kanwar from MN DNR presented outstanding overviews of their respective planning programs on June 10.  The committee was interested in learning more about MN’s One Watershed/One Plan and Julie Westerlund will be presenting on that topic on July 15.

Interstate Water Management:Several writing assignments were made on the April 18 and May 30 calls for various sections of the 2006 Report and case studies.  A working draft of the update is planned for July 15.

Mobile Annual meeting: Sue had shared a copy of the draft agenda for the Mobile meeting with the Board and in particular was looking for suggestions for speakers for the Extreme Weather Events Panel.  Kirsten suggested 2 topics from the Iowa Flood Center and a NWS contact she has.  She will contact both to see if they are available.  Brian will contact the Southeast River Forecast Center to see if they can speak on that panel also.  Discussion was held on how to best mark the 60th anniversary.  Brian will look into getting a Proclamation from someone in Alabama, perhaps the Governor’s office.  Sue will check on the Convention Center room rate rentals for the Wed. night reception.  Sue and Brian had looked into the Exploreum, but it was going to be difficult to line up the caterers and the room rate was expensive compared to what we usually have to pay for reception venues. 

Sue is developing a list of past Chairs, Annual Meeting Locations and Executive directors to help celebrate the 60th Anniversary.  Unfortunately, the records only go back about 15 years. She will develop a spreadsheet of the names she has. Several Board members offered to look through their archives to try and fill out the list. 

Sue will get out a more detailed agenda for the August 5 Strategic Planning webinar for the Board to review.  The Board was fine with moving ahead with March 30-April 3 for the 2020 Roundtable.  Sue will be attending the WSWC summer meeting next week and will discuss the dates with their leadership.  Two hotels have already been contacted about these dates.

Adjourned: 10:15 a.m. Central. Dru Buntin moved and Drew Dehoff seconded, All approved. Next meeting: September 12 at 11 Eastern.  The August 1 meeting will be replaced with the August 5 Strategic Planning webinar.