In attendance: Kirsten Wallace, Sue Lowry, Drew Dehoff, Amy Shallcross, Rhonda Manning, Pooja Kanwar, Jennifer Hoggatt, Heidi Moltz, Matt Unruh, and Julie Cunningham
First Hour – Strategic Planning Session with Tara Kuipers
The first hour was spent wrapping up the Strategic Planning Sessions that the ICWP Board has had with Tara Kuipers. Discussion focused on reviewing and updating the ICWP strategic plan and preparing the process of searching for a new Executive Director of ICWP to be hired in 2022.
Second Hour – Regularly Called ICWP Board Meeting
Call to Order:
Kirsten Wallace, ICWP Board Chair, called the meeting to order at 10:20 a.m. Central time. The Board summary from the February 4, 2021 call was approved. Drew Dehoff made the motion to approve the summary and Jennifer Hoggatt seconded the motion.
Drew Dehoff reviewed the Treasurer’s report in Treasurer Brian Atkins’ absence and reported total net assets were $143,251.70 after expenses as of February 28, 2021. ICWP Executive Director Sue Lowry reported that she and Brian have completed the tasks of adding Brian to the ICWP checking account with Wells Fargo. The treasurer’s report is attached.
Executive Director’s Report:
The Executive Director’s Report dated February 28, 2021 is attached and was distributed to the full Board. Sue reported that draft contract and scope of work has been received from Van Scoyoc and Associates for the Board to review.
Legislation and Policy (last call February 25)
- Sue reported that ICWP was asked to support one of the pilot studies identified in NOAA’s recent Seasonal to Sub-seasonal forecasting Report to Congress.
- Sue also reported about other legislation activities related the USGS 3D Elevation Program (3DEP), extreme precipitation and flooding issues, and the USGS Streamgage Stakeholder letter
- Next call on March 25, 2021.
Water Data and Science (last webinar February 25)
- The presentation featuring the Mississippi Alluvial Plain Regional Water Availability Study by the USGS was very good.
- Next meeting will be March 30 and will feature a presentation about the new Drought.gov portal. This meeting announcement will be sent to all committees as the topic may be of interest to all and fits with our goal of more cross-pollination among committees.
Interstate Water Management (last call January 20)
- Tim Bruno provided an excellent overview of Great Lakes organizations
- Next call will be on March 23, 2021 featuring Peter Johnson who will also talk about various water management entities in the Great Lakes Basin.
Water Planning (last webinar February 22)
- The February webinar featured Sharon Sartor, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, regarding the Corps’ Planning Assistance to the States (PAS) Program.
- Next meeting will be March 29.
ICWP Internship Program:
The ICWP interns are working on projects and each of them will give a short summary of their projects on April 16 during the Washington D.C. Roundtable.
Upcoming ICWP Meetings:
The Washington D.C. Roundtable will be held April 15-16 and co-sponsored with the Western States Water Council and the National Water Supply Alliance. The draft agenda has been posted on the ICWP web site and registration is now open. Sue will send contacts from a few non-member states to each Board member to invite to the virtual Roundtable.
The 2021 Annual meeting is still planned for the week of October 11 at the Wyndham Hotel in the Philadelphia Historic District. Sue will check with the Philadelphia hotel on any COVID restrictions in place and we will re-visit the decision on planning for being face to face for the Annual Meeting.
Next call scheduled for April 1, 2021 at 9 a.m. Central time.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:04 a.m. Central Time by ICWP Chair Kirsten Wallace.