Legislation & Policy Committee Meeting Summary –March 2, 2022 Webinar
Link to Committee Recording: https://youtu.be/UVcr2AUlyxA
- Call to Order—Kirsten Wallace, UMRBA; Chair called to order at 10:03 a.m. Central
- Introductions of Participants on the call: Kirsten Wallace, Chair; Sue Lowry; Katherine Zitsch; Chace Tavelli; John Boyer; Brian Atkins; Stacy Mulholland; Drew Dehoff; John Anderson; Mike Nardolilli; Bennett Bearden; Beth Callaway; Pooja Kanwar; Joy Loughry; Richard Friesner; Christopher Estes; Kelly Pennington; Geoff Bowman; Amy Shallcross; Wade Loseman.
- Updates from Van Scoyoc Associates to committee members—Please refer to the recording of the committee at the above link for details. Highlights include tracking the dates of March 11(current expiration of the Continuing Resolution for FY2022 budget and March 21-23 is the estimated release of the President’s FY2023 budget. Members of Congress who maintain portals for budget requests will be opening those soon for FY2023.
- WRDA 2022-
- Priorities sent by December 16 deadline to Senate EPW
- Sent similar communication to House T & I
- Topics/Projects for 2022 Interns—Reviewing White House Guidance on federal agency access to IIJA funds.
- Legislation to track:
- Infrastructure Packages—water related opportunities
- USGS/DOI FY22 Appropriations and FY23 Budget Release
- USGS Streamgage support letter—draft by early Feb.
- Support for NOAA-NWS Extreme precipitation estimating tools and improved water supply forecasts—Send letter re: Infrastructure $$ for Atlas 14??
- Set next call or webinar –Set for Wednesday, April 13 at 10 a.m. Central.
Legislation and Policy Committee: Stay abreast of national legislation important to ICWP membership; Educate and advocate for state/interstate positions to Congress and federal agencies
- Submitted a letter on of Interior Re-organization
- Sent letter to ASA Rd James regarding PAS funding for full range of authorized purposes
- Submitted WRDA20 support letter to Senate EPW committee
- Submitted WRDA20 support letters to House T&I committee, Senate EPW and to House and Senate leadership
Issues for 2022 Workplan
- WRDA2022 Preparation Topics
- USGS Streamgaging support—getting letter to more audiences and reviewing stakeholder list for omissions
- Opportunity for a states’ support letter
- Whether to expand to Water Use and other topics beyond Streamgaging
- Drought Planning/Preparedness-NIDIS Support (& the DEWS)
- Baseline funding for USDM
- Support for a new ag-centric product (better capture flash drought)
- Reauthorization topics for WUDR
- National Water Model—promoting water supply forecasting capabilities
- NOAA/DOI Improved Forecasting Action Plan
- NWS Atlas 14 –Support for PRECIP legislation
- Legislation Following:
2022 Action Plan Items
- Provide broader leadership on PPA Liability and Indemnification Barriers
- Pursue Congressional hearing on this issue
- Arrange for meeting with USACE Office of Counsel
- Develop Advocacy “How To” webinar series
- Discussion of lessons learned at NGWOS basins are added