Water Planning Committee Meeting Summary August 16, 2021 Webinar–Mindi Dalton, USGS–Update on Use of Models in Estimating Water Use and Availability
Webinar Recording on ICWP’s YouTube Channel:
- Call to Order—Chair Jennifer Hoggatt-Missouri DNR called to order at 10:02 a.m. Central time.
- Introductions of Participants on the call—Those in attendance were: Jennifer Hoggatt, Chair; Sue Lowry; Brian Atkins; Tom Littlepage; Shae Holley; Ed Swaim; Christopher Estes; Doni Grimsley; Mike Nardolilli; Carrie Wiese; Michael Harper; Jennifer Schellpeper; Mindi Dalton; Mel Fegler.
- Webinar Presentation – Mindi Dalton, USGS—Discussion on USGS Water Use Modeling & Estimating
Mindi began with a recap of the direction given by Congress via the Secure Water Act—Section 9508 directed USGS to incorporate more science into both Water Use and Water Availability. Better understanding of the human component of the water budget was a goal. Indicators of availability for both surface and GW. Develop a national database of availability. WRAP Priorities for FY21-25
Water Use withdrawal models that account for 90% (thermal cooling, irrigation, municipal). Getting more hydrologically based than the current 5-year snapshot.
SECURE, National Academies Study, and Stakeholder needs led to 4 main goals:
1-Automated transfer of water use data from/to partners. Focusing WUDR grants to improve state databases. 2-Operational models for nationally consistent methods for estimating water use. 3-Methods that quantify and trace the movement of water over the landscape (Interbasin transfers) 4- Integrate forecasting targets into water use models. 2020 Water Use compilation-won’t be a county-based compilation snapshot. Will begin publishing the model results for estimating use.
- Annual meeting, Oct. 12-14, 2021. Philadelphia—Registration is now open and plans are in place for again meeting in person. A remote attendance option will be available for those unable to travel. Draft agenda and meeting logistics are on the icwp.org website.
- Discuss draft Resiliency Principle Statement for Board approval—Draft has been sent to the committee members. Please get comments back to Sue by Aug. 26 to make the timeline of Board review during their September meeting and bringing final drafts to the full membership meeting at Philadelphia. Several suggested edits were offered and Sue will incorporate into the next draft.
- Report out of other ICWP committee activities—IWM topic of Trans-basin Transfers—They will begin a series of webinars on Trans basin diversion in 2022.
- Additional items to add to 2021 committee workplan
- Suggested topics– discussion of innovative funding approaches and North Dakota and Colorado were suggested as possible speakers
- Next call or webinar—set date after the Annual Meeting to see if any topics are raised at Philadelphia for this committee to delve into more detail.
Water Planning Committee: Provide a forum of the exchange of ideas and concepts related to state and regional water planning.
- Webinars from several state planning efforts
- Contributed Planning topics/speakers for Annual Meeting and Washington DC Roundtable
Issues for 2021 Workplan
- Continue with Webinar presentations from individual states on their water planning programs
- Support for PAS
- Water Quality and Infrastructure—how ICWP might integrate these topics with our main mission topic areas
- Planning topics at 2021 Washington Roundtable and Annual Fall Meeting
- Funding approaches used by various states:
- North Dakota